Why hot stone massage is so beneficial for your health.
Posted on 16 August 2018
We have heard how good Hot Stone Massage is for the body for the last few years but what we want to know is why it is so beneficial?
What does it do to the body to make it so good for you? Below are the reasons why Hot Stone Massage is beneficial for your health and why you should book one regularly.
Hot stone massage can be traced back over 2000 years to when the Chinese used heated stones to improve the function of the internal organs.
The heat of the stones allow your massage therapist to deliver a deeper massage without increasing the pressure that they use and encourages the muscles to relax and release tension leaving you in a deep state of relaxation.
- Heat reduces pain, stiffness and muscle tension.
- The stones have an anti-inflammatory benefits when placed on tense muscles or joints.
- The heat from the hot stones has a sedative effect on the nervous system which reduces stress and anxiety.
- Creates a sense of comfort and warmth to heighten relaxation
- Improves sleep by leaving your muscles relaxed so you may fall asleep faster, stay asleep longer and wake up feeling more refreshed.
- Regular massage boosts the immune system and helps the body ward of the colds and viruses easier.
- Improves circulation – the heat from the stones opens up your blood vessels and allows more oxygen rich blood to be pumped around the body
What happens during a hot stone massage?
During a hot stone massage heated basalt stones are used to massage the muscles and are placed on certain parts of the body. The stones are heated to a controlled temperature in warm water with a hot stone heater. Oil is applied to the skin and the stones are glided along the muscles to release tension and relax you in turn. The heat of the stones allows the therapist to work on deeper tissues if needed quicker than with typical massage.
Some additional tips to make the most out of your massage:
- Don’t eat or drink alcohol before your massage
- Stay hydrated and drink water before and after your massage.
- Make sure you complete the consultation form thoroughly.
- You should always let your therapist know if the stones are too hot or the pressure is too intense.